Search This Blog

Friday 20 November 2015

Philosophy of Achievement: You are Richer than you Think.

“Sam, I know where you live. I know the car you drive. I know your office. You are not a rich man. You cannot write such a great book then give the money to some charity instead of upgrading your life.” Those were words from a friend when I told him that I will be giving proceeds from every copy of The Guy Who Fired His Boss towards Cancer Care and Support work.

My friend’s definition of riches is not close to mine. I consider myself very rich. I have a great wife and children. I have life basics. I’m enjoying what I do. I have a few skills and capabilities that others would desire to have. I have fulfilling friendships and great networks. I’m in good health. I am rich.
If he meant that riches are measured in terms of money and other material possession then I don’t have much. But my life cannot be about accumulating more of these. It is ok to get some comfort and conveniences that these riches bring but they are never a measure of accomplishment and achievement.

I believe that the measure of success is how well one has used the skills, opportunities, health, finances, experiences, connections, talents, positions, relationships etc to make the lives of others better. This is regardless of your status or situation. That is my philosophy of achievement.


You don’t have to give up everything away. You don’t have to do something spectacular. You don’t have to die in front-line fighting for freedom of others. But you can do it in your day to day activities and routine in small measures. You don’t have to take over all the problems of the world – you are neither omnipresent nor omniscient. But you can do something about one or two problems in the world.


You can do it once or you can make it a lifelong endeavor. You can drop coins in the collection basket or you can set up a foundation. You can give now or you can leave all in your will. But all in all you can do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment